Sunday, May 30, 2010

Baking With Dorie (Rewind): Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins



I have decided that if I really wanted to be a full, active member of Baking with Dorie (BWD) which I was officially welcomed into on May 12, I should catch up on all of the group's bake since its first one on March 1.

Thus, I will attempt a BWD Rewind - baking all six chosen recipes that the group members have picked and baked prior to May 24 (when I baked my first BWD). And, I hope to complete all six recipes before August 16 - that's when we'll be baking along to my recipe of choice!! I think I can manage that ;-)

For my first BWD Rewind, it's Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, chosen by both founding members of BWD, Grapefruit and Susi. Check out Grapefruit's take here and Susi's here.

I thought of baking half a batch, but since we were having some family gathering in the morning, I went full batch and got exactly 12 muffins from the recipe. I usually can't wait to sample the first cupcake/slice of cake immediately after they come out of the oven, but I was patient with this one, probably because I was occupied with chowing down putting away WPC cookies in cookie tins (I can't seem to stop eating baking 'em WPCs!!)

I took these to mom's and I was surprised that my health-conscious mother (she doesn't eat cake and as a result looks 15 years younger than her real age.. errr what does that say about me - a cake eating person who bakes almost daily??) out of her own willingness took one muffin and declared they were very nice (she scraped the lemon drizzle off, though). And...a few minutes later said she'll have another one!! I was curious to know if they were THAT good, but decided to wait till morning to have them for breakfast.

My verdict - these are made for breakfast or an afternoon snack. They were pretty good, but I wouldn't go so far as to have one after the other. The texture is soft and light (I used low-fat yogurt instead of sour cream). And although the cake calls for zest and juice of one lemon, the lemon flavor was quite mild. A lemon lover, I was hoping for a stronger sweet citrus taste.

The poppy seed added some surprise crunch in every bite and these muffins would be nothing without them.

 

Guess what? The next day my mom had these again for breakfast. I'll definitely make these again... for her!!

4 comments:

  1. Tina, beautiful pictures!!! And what a wonderful idea to do the rewind :o) We are so glad to have you on board and who knows, Dorie Greenspan's recipes might convert your mom to eating more sweets now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Susi!! I figure doing the rewind would give me the opportunity to cover the book better with you gals ;-) and yes, looking forward to surprising mom with more of Dorie's recipes next!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you called it a 'BWD rewind' ;-)
    Your muffins look lovely and am so glad your mom enjoyed them. The poppy seeds really do add a surprising crunch, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a look you gave these muffins and a great description, as well. It will be fun, baking with you.

    ReplyDelete